While a lot of men start shaving their faces from adolescence, many women also want to remove facial hair but aren't sure of the best technique. Here are some pros and cons of the different options.
Shaving doesn't need to just be for men's face. Many women also grab a razor and clean the peach fuzz from their cheeks and clean up a hairy upper lip. Proponents also suggest that shaving gives a slight exfoliating effect by removing some of the top layer of skin.
- Easy to access.
- Shaving can be irritating and result in shaving rash.
- Hair can appear darker when it regrows and has a sharper edge so can appear thicker.
- Women may not have as much experience in shaving the face and as such can get small nicks and cuts.
- Effects only last for a few days
Another common method of removing hair is waxing. This can be done in the home or at a salon, and works by placing hot wax on the skin and waiting for it to solidify, then tear it off removing the hair at the root.
- Effects can last for a few weeks.
- Relative quick, taking a few minutes to finish the waxing.
- Can be applied to any shape or gap to get a precise finish, for example for eyebrow design.
- Can be painful.
- Can be expensive if you regularly get a lot of waxing done at a salon.
- Requires regular exfoliation so that the hair does not regrow under the hair level (known as an ingrown hair).
A more permanent solution is laser hair removal, which zaps the hair follicle down to the root. This stops the hair from regrowing.
- Effects can last for years although some 'top up sessions' may be required every few months or years to keep a silky smooth finish
- Can be painful.
- Works best on dark hair on pale skin, but may not be effective for lighter hair with more tan skin. This can be an issue for lighter 'peach fuzz' style facial hair.
- Can be expensive (although the cost may be lower than other options over a lifetime).
There is a range of ways to remove facial hair from women. The best option for you is likely to depend on your budget and the time you have available for hair removal as well as the thickness and colour of hair you are trying to remove.